Today we are unearthing all the things related to pregnancy that aren’t so peachy from infertility to postpartum depression to misscarriage and stillbirth. These are the gut wrenching experiences many have to face and may not know where or how to seek help.
Here are some stats.
- Women with infertility can feel as anxious or depressed as those diagnosed with cancer.
- Up to 20% of women experience prenatal or postpartum depression, and postpartum anxiety affects 20% of first-time moms.
- 10-15% of women experience depression during pregnancy, but it often goes untreated.
- Half of women experience significant distress following a miscarriage.
- Also, 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage, and 1 in 160 babies are stillborn.
Today, I’m joined by Nneka Symister who is a psychotherapist and licensed social worker.
Nneka Symister, LCSW, is a NY based therapist specializing in helping women and couples who suffer with perinatal mood and anxiety disorders, miscarriage and loss. After years of working with people with all types of diagnosis, Nneka decided to specifically work with perinatal diagnoses when realizing the huge deficit in mental health awareness and services for women who suffer from these disorders. In her work, Ms. Symister uses multiple techniques to best serve her clients, including cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, interpersonal therapy and EMDR. Within the Seleni Institute, she offers evidence-based maternal mental health trainings to help providers properly diagnose and treat Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders as well as Perinatal Loss and Grief.
Ms. Symister has over a decade of experience helping families build and strengthen their relationships. Her past work includes supporting diverse patients in underserved populations, including inner city residents and the LGBTQIA community. She also has an extensive background working with fathers, specifically utilizing the latest research in human behavior to help patients enhance their relationships with their children and increase positive communication in co-parenting efforts.
Meet My Guest:
- AUTHORITY MAGAZINE: Nneka Symister: “How To Develop Mindfulness And Serenity During Stressful Or Uncertain Times”
- THERAPY FOR BLACK GIRLS: Nneka Symister
- AMAZON: Nano Facial Steamer