You know what the most trite advice is about babies and sleep? “Honey, sleep when the baby sleeps!” It makes me think of a meme I came across on Instagram that said, “Sure. And I’ll do laundry when my baby does laundry and wash bottles when my baby washes bottles.” When the baby sleeps, that may be our only window of time to get to the umpteen things we have to do.
One of the most polarizing and confusing topics for a new mom is “To sleep train or not.” There are some parents who are die-hard believers in the Ferber method and others who prefer co-sleeping, and others who fall somewhere in between. First and foremost, there is no right or wrong method. You do what is right for your baby and your family and your schedule.
What I aim to provide you with is knowledge. If you’re a mom who is unsure of what to do to put your baby to sleep and sleep well, this is the episode for you. I interview Kelly Murray, founder of Kelly Murray Sleep Consulting and Dr. Amber Price, Pediatrician/Lactation Specialist, and they talk about the pros and cons of sleep training vs. attachment parenting.
My goal is to keep things as objective as possible. As a journalist, I’m hardwired to tell both sides of the story, that way you can take both of these very different perspectives and schools of thought and do what’s best for your baby and your family. Sweet dreams!
Meet My Guest:
- WEBSITE: KellyMurraySleep.com
- FACEBOOK: Kelly Murray Sleep Consulting
- WEBSITE: WillowPediatrics.com
- INSTAGRAM: @WillowPeds
- 2:50 – Meet Kelly Murray, founder of Kelly Murray Sleep Consulting
- 3:45 – Meet Dr. Amber Price, pediatrician and breastfeeding medicine specialist and founder of Willow Pediatrics
- 4:40 – How much sleep should a newborn be getting?
- 8:00 – When can I put my baby on a schedule?
- 12:50 – When is a baby ready to sleep train?
- 15:20 – Recap of the book, “12 Hours in 12 Weeks” by Suzy Giardano
- 20:00 – Did you co-sleep or sleep train early on? Share your personal experiences with us.
- 24:00 – Are there alternatives to the Ferber method of sleep training?
- 27:00 – How do babies self soothe?
- 29:00 – How did you co-sleep with your kids (for Dr. Price)?
- 36:50 – What is the stigma vs. the benefits of sleep training vs. attachment parenting?
- 46:27 – How do you know child-led parenting is meant for you?
- 47:40 – What are some of the similarities of both philosophies?
- 48:00 – Mom Sense moment
- 55:29 – Mom Haul
- 59:37 – Quote of the Day