Kanika: Math can be daunting for kids (and parents)! I know HOMER recently added new math content to your learning program, HOMER Learn & Grow. What tips can you share with our families to ensure they’re setting their children up to be confident in math.
Stephanie: Sure, math can be a real point of anxiety for both children and kids. My husband Andre is [insert Andre’s math expertise] has always loved math and I have to credit him with instilling a passion and love for math in my kids
- Make math a part of everyday life
- Have your child count out the number of forks needed for dinner
- Measuring – height
- Math thinking: Children are natural mathematicians as math is all about exploring and problem-solving.
- Start early, talk about problem-solving strategies, use math language in everyday life
- Modeling math confidence
- Honor “I Did it Moments” – the little (and sometimes big) wins that happen every single day on the path to learning. Keep an eye out and celebrate the moments when something just “clicks,” and kids take what they’re learning and make it their own.